Prep: 15 minutes plus standing
Slow Cook: 4 hours • Serves: 10
1/2 cup PICS unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup unsalted beef stock
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons PICS unsalted butter
1 fresh flat-cut beef brisket (about 5-1/2 to 6 pounds)
1. In medium bowl, whisk BBQ sauce, applesauce, stock, rosemary and salt.
2. In large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; add brisket and cook 5 minutes or until outside is browned, turning once.
3. Transfer brisket to 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; pour applesauce mixture over brisket, cover and cook on high 4 hours or low 8 hours or until brisket is tender. Transfer brisket to cutting board, tent with aluminum foil and let stand 20 minutes; reserve applesauce mixture.
4. In small saucepan, heat applesauce mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes or until reduced by 1/2, stirring occasionally. Makes about 1 cup.
5. Slice brisket across the grain; serve with applesauce mixture.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (about 8 ounces brisket, 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sauce):
547 Calories, 34g Fat, 14g Saturated Fat, 189mg Cholesterol, 323mg Sodium,
7g Carbohydrates, 0g Fiber, 6g Sugars, 5g Added Sugars, 50g Protein
Serve brisket in your favorite buns topped with the applesauce mixture and pickles.