Prep: 15 minutes plus freezing and cooling
Bake: 10 minutes • Serves: 25
1/2 tablespoon PICS cornstarch
1/2 cup PICS unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup PICS granulated sugar
2 tablespoons packed PICS light brown sugar
2 PICS large egg yolks
1 teaspoon PICS vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
1/2 cup PICS semisweet chocolate baking chips
1/2 teaspoon PICS vegetable oil
2 tablespoons finely crushed PICS starlight mints
1. Adjust 2 oven racks to top and bottom positions; preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 rimmed baking pans with parchment paper. In medium bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch.
2. In large bowl, with mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugars 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract; beat 1 minute or until incorporated. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture and beat 1 minute or until incorporated, scraping down bowl occasionally. Remove half the dough; add red food coloring to bowl and beat 1 minute or until incorporated.
3. Combining a small piece of plain dough and a small piece of red dough, roll into 25 (1-inch) balls; place 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Press thumb into center of each ball to make indentation, making sure not to press all the way through; freeze 15 minutes.
4. Bake cookies 10 minutes or until bottoms are slightly browned, rotating pans halfway through baking; cool 10 minutes on pans, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
5. In small microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and oil in microwave oven on high 1 minute or until melted, stirring every 20 seconds. Spoon chocolate mixture into indentations in cookies; sprinkle with mints. Makes 25 cookies.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 cookie):
98 Calories, 6g Fat (4g Saturated), 27mg Cholesterol, 1mg Sodium,
11g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 5g Sugars, 5g Added Sugars, 1g Protein
If indentations in cookies rise too much during baking, gently press back down with back of measuring teaspoon while cookies are still warm.