Prep: 1 hour plus standing
Roast: 3 hours • Serves: 12
1-1/2 teaspoons PICS olive oil
3/4 cup PICS unsalted butter (1-1/2 sticks), softened
4 tablespoons Herb Seasoning (recipe follows)
1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 (12- to 14-pound) turkey
2 medium Market 32 yellow onions, each cut into wedges
3 medium Market 32 carrots, each cut into 3-inch pieces
3 medium celery ribs, each cut into 3-inch pieces
1/4 cup PICS all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
1 can (14 ounces) PICS less-sodium chicken broth
Roasted Garlic & Herb Turkey
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Slice 1/4 inch off top of each garlic head. Place garlic, cut side up, in foil and drizzle with oil. Wrap garlic in foil to seal. Place on rimmed baking pan; roast 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out garlic into small bowl.
2. Increase temperature to 400°. Mash garlic with 6 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon herb seasoning, thyme, lemon juice and lemon zest. Remove neck and giblets from turkey; reserve. Tuck wing tips under to hold in place. Work your fingers between skin and breast to loosen. Evenly distribute garlic mixture under skin.
3. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons herb seasoning inside turkey cavity; fill with some vegetables. Place any remaining vegetables, neck and giblets in large roasting pan. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter and mix with remaining 1 tablespoon herb seasoning. Gently rub mixture over turkey skin. Place turkey in roasting pan on top of vegetables, neck and giblets.
4. Roast turkey 15 minutes or until outside is browned. Reduce temperature to 325°. Roast turkey 2 hours or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 165°, rotating turkey halfway through roasting time. Transfer turkey to cutting board; let stand 20 minutes before carving.
5. Place roasting pan with drippings and vegetables over medium heat. Whisk in flour; simmer 5 minutes. Whisk in wine; simmer 5 minutes. Add broth; simmer 20 minutes, whisking occasionally. Strain sauce though fine-mesh strainer and serve with turkey.
6. Mix together 1 tablespoon crushed rosemary, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
606 Calories, 30g Fat (12g Saturated), 293mg Cholesterol, 658mg Sodium,
7g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 1g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 70g Protein